Thursday, October 28, 2010

Healing and comments from Long Beach, CA

I was unable to attend the lecture. Nevertheless, I asked my friend who attended to fax the Bible verses to me. I had been nauseated for several days, but after I started meditating on the verses I received a healing. They are a great comfort to me.

The Bible references were helpful. They gave us something to think about. We know that we can approach God and ask for solutions to our problems. A friend of mine who is not a Christian Scientist expressed his gratitude for the message presented at the talk.

I appreciated Elise’s recounting the biography of Mrs. Eddy’s early life and life altering accident which caused her to search the scriptures for healing. I especially liked the story of Mrs. Eddy healing of the boy with club feet.

A couple attended the lecture. The wife is legally blind. After the lecture, they commented that “We loved it! This was our first time attending a Christian Science lecture. We will return again to hear more.”

Powerful! We can see the Bible in a new light. It was great to hear how one can use the Bible not just for preaching but also to effect healing in people’s lives. Great seminar!

Mrs. Eddy’s statements on prayer were interesting. I like how Elise explained to us the four factors involved in the opening sentence in the chapter on “Prayer” found in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy. If I remember correctly they are faith, all things are possible to God, a spiritual knowledge of God, and having an attitude of unselfed love.

I liked how Elise explained some of the Greek words. I also liked how she defined words and terms like “baptism,” “faith,” and “Holy Spirit.” Just thinking about these definitions makes me appreciate the Bible more. I also got a kick out of the notion that “baptism” originally meant to pickle a vegetable.

-compiled by P. Hogu

No comments: