Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nothing can keep you from a lecture

I just finished transcribing my lecture notes to my computer. I appreciate your lecture even more, now that I've had some time to study it.

I typed out the Bible and Mrs. Eddy references -- I even found the Nicander bapto/baptizo pickle recipe reference online! Your use of definitions makes your lectures very clear and easy to understand. You also make it easy to take notes -- I don't feel like my note-taking is forcing me to miss things.
Thank you for making the trip to Port Huron, Michigan.

I only found out about this lecture one week prior, from an announcement at church. I spent the week trying to figure out how I could attend, as there were a few obstacles. As I was waiting for your lecture to start, I made a list of all of the false beliefs that were overcome to allow me (and possibly others) to attend. I wanted to share it with you:

1.) Tiredness -- I work overnights and had only slept 2 hours. Nobody was able to come with me and help with driving. I was able to drive to and from the lecture by myself (a 200 mile round trip) and alertly attend without a hint of drowsiness.

2.) Weather -- Although we've had a cooler summer in Michigan this year, this past weekend was 2 very humid 90+ degree days. There was also some severe weather the night before (thunderstorms, flood warnings, power outages, etc.) in some of the neighboring counties. The weather didn't stop me or others.

3.) Road Construction -- This was further complicated by 2 major road construction projects, plus some local road construction near the hotel where your lecture was held. People still came.

4.) Promotion -- I realize that this lecture was scheduled rather quickly, not allowing the Port Huron Church or you to promote it in the usual ways.
However, attendance still was terrific. You had about the same number of people attending (if not more) than a better promoted Michael Pabst lecture at the same location a year ago.

5.) Money -- I wasn't sure if I could afford to make the trip. During the week, the finances unfolded.

6.) Former Acquaintances -- Being a member of/attending several Michigan Christian Science Churches over time, at lectures I usually run into past church members and former A/U acquaintances. While most of these interactions are positive, I sometimes encounter people who won't speak to me, are rude to me, who don't remember me, or whom I don't remember. These awkward moments have given me plenty to pray about through the years. Fortunately Sunday contained no such awkward moments!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that NOTHING can stop anyone from hearing the Truth contained in a Christian Science lecture!

1 comment:

cristina canales said...

Bravo Elise: nada nos puede separar del Amor de Dios. El Cristo es eternemente irresistible.
Reconozco el único poder absoluto siempre presente y omnipotente. Tu trabajo para Dios es y será excelente!