Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ideas from lecture help in legal case

Thank you again for the lecture. It was extremely clear and understandable and helpful1 My husband was nodding his head at different points and I thought that was neat.

Anyway, later on that evening I was talking to one of my friends who I had invited to the lecture. She hadn't come because she was getting ready for a deposition of her client that was to be held first thing Monday morning. The other side and his attorney appeared to be engaging in deceptive activity and even though my friend's client was the aggrieved party, my friend was very concerned that it was possible that if her client got emotional that the deposition would be messed up and justice might not be done.

My friend asked me to pray for her. I thought immediately as she was asking me, "how should I pray?", and the words came to mind "be not afraid of their faces" I agreed to pray for my friend and asked her if that phrase had any meaning for her and she said no. I thought it was from the Bible and I looked it up and was amazed at how appropriate it and the following verses were as I don't remember reading it before. I called her back and read it to her. We talked briefly about it, I prayed with the ideas in the passage- Jeremiah 1:1-7 or 8 I think and thought about the last two beatitudes. When I felt ok I stopped and went to bed. In the morning, I was grateful that what I knew the night before was still true.

My friend told me last night what had happened- she said the ideas in the Bible passage calmed her down and she finished getting ready- which involved prayer on her end also. The next day, her client was very nervous and scared- in this case the father is attempting to take their child from her and his parents are giving him money for lawyers- my friend shared the bible passage with her and she calmed down.

The deposition went so well that the other side said they decided they were going to drop the case and try to settle. The two attorneys are now working on a settlement. The other side's attorney lied to my friend once already so she is preparing for trial just in case but she was absolutely thrilled as to the outcome of the deposition and definitely credits prayer with that outcome. We talked more about the beatitudes, and about what you mentioned regarding those last two. We both enjoyed the conversation and I know she feels more confident.

This was a wonderful experience for me too. I have been wanting to know how to pray more effectively and I feel like my prayers are being answered. I have plenty of opportunity for prayer every day so I am practicing machete v helicopter- so far very helpful!
Thank you again!
Susan

No comments: