Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Typical comments from lecture chair

Your talk was outstanding! Because it was so participatory, everyone was very engaged. I loved that it spoke to everyone, from longtime Christian Scientists to those who had never entered a CS church. Identifying other names for God, a discussion of how to pray, thoughts on sin and baptism, elements in a healing, what happens if a person is not healed are all topics that many Christian Scientists, including myself, often have a difficult time responding to. One of the most difficult concepts for me personally has always been "sin". I play the piano, so your reference to Gen. 1 as the original score, and defining "sin" as making a mistake comparable to playing the "wrong note in music" really helped. The fact that sin doesn't come from anywhere but just needs to be corrected like a wrong note is so meaningful.

You really raised the bar on the Lecture Preparatory meeting. I must admit I have often been guilty of thinking about who has a problem that needs healing when thinking about who to invite. Going forward my invitation will be: you will enjoy this talk because you are spiritually-minded, you enjoy intellectual discussions and you might enjoy knowing why I have been a Christian Scientist all my life.
So, many thanks again for your excellent preparatory meeting, your beautifully presented talk and very clear and engaging message.
My best, Carol

No comments: