Thursday, May 7, 2009

Healings from Newark DE lecture

Alex asked me to share that the lecture preparation session brought him a complete healing from a belief in fatigue. He left the meeting feeling invigorated and fresh and full of energy. He has since then been using in his devotional life the very practical idea of lining up God’s qualities as his own and it has helped him to find healing from one major challenge whose effects he had been experiencing over several years. He continues to profit from the clear and helpful ideas Elise shared with us.

He also wanted to pass along the glowing reports about the lecture from two of his mother’s friends, who are not Christian Scientists but with whom his mother has been sharing Christian Science ideas. One of them, a Russian lady who is a professor of philosophy, said she enjoyed it very much and was very positively influenced by it. She has a troubled relationship with her teenage son, and she said she felt that her relationship with her son would be changed for the better by what she learned about prayer at the lecture. The other friend, a Bulgarian woman, said that the ideas about the machete and helicopter methods of prayer inspired her and gave her tools to handle current challenges in her life.

One of our students at the University of Delaware said she really enjoyed the lecture and felt drawn to Christian Science and to attend Sunday School in our church and that she thought Christian Science had the right ideas for prayer that would help her solve the challenges of college life and her athletic career.

Our fifteen-year-old son came to the lecture and took many notes and came away inspired and energized by what he heard. A week or so afterward, when told that I was working on some claims (physical illness) he asked Alex, “What method of healing do you think she should use, Dad? The machete method or the helicopter method?” They agreed that I should use the helicopter method.

Then on Thursday I woke up not feeling well with some seasonally-related symptoms, and I immediately sat down to make a list of all the positive moral and spiritual qualities that are God’s gift to me. I filled a whole page with qualities, and by the time I was done the symptoms were gone.

The lecture prep meeting also energized me to contact several people that I hadn’t yet invited and to follow up on several other invitations I’d already made. That afternoon I called a church member to encourage her to bring her son to the lecture, and learned that she was not feeling well. I shared with her the idea that had helped me (identifying myself with moral and spiritual qualities), and she asked me to read her my list over the phone. I did and she wrote the qualities down, and was very much helped by it and came to the lecture and did not have to leave during it, as she had been fearing.

As for the lecture itself, I personally was touched by how Elise began the talk by speaking of her prayer for each and every one of us, that we might lay down anything we were heavily burdened by. When she said that that was her prayer for us, something resonated deeply in me—a thorny cluster of claims and challenges that I have been carrying around connected to my sister’s passing last September.

The lecture was an overflowing cup of inspired ideas on how to address all problems through prayer, and since then my daily devotions and study of the Bible lesson have been more focused and have been yielding more and more benefits, including, crucially, a healing realization of the truth of my sister’s condition—that she has always been cared for by God, that every need of hers always has been, is, and will be met by God, that nothing can ever separate her from God, good (Romans 8, mentioned by Elise as a powerfully inspiring source of healing in the Bible, and indeed it is), and that the same is true of me, too.

Elise’s lecture preparatory meeting and talk are gifts that keep on giving, and they were so beautifully expressive of God’s great love for each and every one of His children.

-Susan

No comments: