Monday, May 25, 2009

Listening to God overts a suicide attempt

The Wednesday readings following Elise's innovative Lecture, "God is Speaking to You" (Perth Australia) reminded me of a number of occasions when alertness in responding to "Angel messages" has resulted in benefits for myself and others.

On one occasion, I felt led to talk to a stranger while we were both standing at the protecting rail of a Tourist look-out overlooking a steep drop. After engaging in conversation the man said that my compassionate contact had changed his earlier decision to take his own life by climbing over the rail and jumping.

One summer I had been driving almost non-stop from Melbourne en route to Perth for about 20 hours when I was prompted to stop in the early hours of the morning before entering some of the roughest unsealed road with dangerous dust-filled pot-holes. When I stepped out of my car in the moonlight I looked at one of the tyres going flat in front of my eyes.

Recently, while waiting in the Church foyer for a Wednesday evening Testimony Meeting to start, I felt impelled to welcome a visitor just entering, as he had by-passed the usher on duty. It turned out that he is a neighbour of mine who, as a result of this contact, attended not only his first Christian Science Service, but also Elise's lecture.

There are numerous other examples which come to mind as I continue, but these three represent different scenarios.

No comments: