Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Informal lecture at a funeral home

I want to briefly add that the group wanted me to do another lecture prep for those people who couldn’t come to the first one held on Thursday night when I arrived in Ciudad Victoria.

I agreed and they held it in a public place ie the funeral home. It’s not as macabre as it sounds. They have nice rooms with chairs and good location in a part of town that is very accessible. By the time we arrived at this event, I no longer wanted to do the lecture prep workshop that I’d given at the beginning of the time here.

This was the afternoon right after the prison workshop. That had gone so well, I basically did the same thing. I used the opening to my lecture What is CS? and then included reading together selections from the Bible Lesson on Christ Jesus and making the same points as at the prison. Three S&Hs were sold and several people said they wanted to buy the book but hadn’t brought enough money. They were arranging to buy it later.

Several newcomers said they had seen the advertising for the lectures but couldn’t come so they had determined that they had to come at least to this event because it was nearer where they worked/lived. Some newcomers were part of a grief group meeting at the funeral home. A few others came from the lectures because they wanted to hear more. They brought people who they wanted to hear something about Christian Science. The radio interviewer came! I was very surprised.

The doctor and his wife came and he introduced me. He told me afterward that the lecture that he attended, our conversation after church, and this prep workshop had helped him to understand some of the fundamentals of Christian Science that he hadn’t gotten before. Spiritual identity was becoming clearer and he was beginning to see how he could resolve some of his own challenges. He had gotten a new view of himself as God’s son.

One woman who had gone to 2 lectures, and brought her mom to one of them, brought her daughter to have me pray with them.

I talked to most of the newcomers afterwards about various issues they wanted to discuss.

There was a young man who had been hired to shuttle the lecture materials all over town for the various events. He and the driver of the van used to shuttle the white board, books etc came in to listen to this event. They took notes and afterward the young man told me how much he had learned, and gave me a lovely little gift in appreciation for my coming to CV and sharing Christian Science with them. This was precious. At the beginning of these lectures, he was just setting things up and then hanging out with his friends until the event was over, then he’d take things down and disappear. But by the last lecture at the university, he was hanging out near the door and standing inside the door for part of the lecture. Now at this last event he wanted to attend the entire thing as a participant. How grateful I am for his receptivity! The Christ is at work in each individual's heart transforming, healing, and revealing their harmonious, healthy, real identity. Praise be to God Almighty!

No comments: